Sunday, March 27, 2011

Miss Jean Brodie hits the road


My pétard is working well. I’ve hoisted myself onto it fairly regularly since I announced my intention to ride the 100-km route of today’s Populaire. The weather’s been good and rolling beneath flowering plum trees has done wonders for my state of mind. Best of all, I managed the hills – even the 12% grade – without embarrassing myself by grinding to a standstill and falling off while still clipped into my pedals.

Not that this has ever happened to me.

Ahem.

A couple of days ago, I did my final training ride and I wanted it to be as close to the length of the Populaire as I could get without actually totting up the mileage (those of you who read Calorie Neutral know my dislike of numbers that need pandering. Er, calculating).

I aimed for about five hours on the road but since I don’t wear a watch…well, I’ll be getting a watch soon.

From my place I headed south to the waterfront, then basically did a big loop and had a glorious ride, hills and all. I stopped once for a red light, then once more to pick up ten pounds of apples and eat one of my handy nutritious energy-boosting bars, and was home in four and three-quarter hours.

So today I’m out doing the ride for real. With a bunch of people who wear Spandex and whose bikes are probably not named Miss Jean Brodie.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment