Sunday, November 7, 2010

How I Spent My Autumn Vacation

For two weeks in late October, I reveled in the sensual delights of one of my very favourite countries – France.

The first week, in Paris, I rented an apartment on the Left Bank



strolled through the Jardin des Plantes, the Promenade Plantée, the Tuileries Gardens,
Ile St-Louis, and along the Seine



listened to Bach at Ste-Chapelle, Puccini at the Opéra Bastille,
and Gregorian chant at Notre-Dame



strolled through the Louvre, the Orangerie, and my favourite: the Rodin museum



Then I headed south for a completely different and equally wonderful week in the
Dordogne Valley


where I rented a medieval farmhouse



strolled along country lanes


visited ancient caves and medieval towns


shopped in local markets

and then enjoyed my purchases.

While there are a lot of stories (some of them amusing, mostly at my father's expense) for now I'll let the pictures do the talking and I'll just add
Á la prochaine!
Until next time.
All photos by the charming and talented Spence Partlo

9 comments:

  1. All that, and you decided not to stay?

    Love the photos, Rachel! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard to tear myself away from fresh croissants and two-euro bottles of wine, especially since the oak and chestnut forests that cloak the rolling hills were turning colour while we were there, giving us an endlessly changing gold-orange-red landscape to explore.

    It was magic.

    Now that I'm back on the drizzly West Coast, we've had some unexpected and spectacularly sunny days, and the greengreengreen out my window makes for a different kind of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear the stories.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures, Rachel. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos, Rachel. I could almost taste the wine and cheese!

    Laura Langston

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos. Can't wait to hear more stories! Welcome back! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've passed along your compliments (well deserved, I believe) to the photographer. I think he did a spectacular job of capturing the feeling of places rather than simply recording them. But I might be a little biased.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad I went to your blog today. What a lovely photo essay! A true pick-me-up for a gray day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved everything about this blog Rachel: the pictures, the comments, the info. Thanks for the tour. Can't wait to follow in your footsteps.

    ReplyDelete