Sunday, November 29, 2009

You know what they say about good intentions…

Yesterday was Saturday, November 28, Buy-Nothing Day.
I had decided to stay away from my computer, out of my car, to buy nothing.
I managed one out of three. Me! Who sometimes doesn't get in a car for a week at a time, relying instead on two feet or two pedals. Me, who is still wearing a t-shirt I bought in 1994.
By 8:13 yesterday morning, I was on the phone with my father, arranging to go to his (unpowered and unplumbed) cabin for the day – with a stop at a favourite restaurant for breakfast on the way.
Eight thirteen. Oy. 
I'm trying really hard not to feel like a failure about it, and I'm helped greatly by the success of the day in every other way. I read most of a really good (entertaining and informative and thought-provoking) book – Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Had a great time with my dad, reading him bits that made me laugh out loud while he read me bits from his newspaper. Listened to the kingfisher working the bay and the eagle trilling from its treetop perch and the rain on the cabin roof. I came home refreshed (and slightly damp).
And hell, Dad bought breakfast. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day with your Dad, even if you did use a car and someone paid for breakfast. And you did stay off the computer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alice. I'm holding onto those thoughts too.

    Family is, after all, more important than observing an event that's been scheduled by someone I don't even know.

    And the experience of doing without my computer for a whole day was enlightening; I'm such an email and Google addict! I'm going to unplug myself more often, like once a week.

    Hey, it suddenly got cold in here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent day with your dad! And what fun to read Eat, Pray, Love. I loved that book and hope the movie will be stellar.

    Jodie

    ReplyDelete